The www before your domain name is a subdomain, not part of the domain name itself. Therefore, if you set up your www CNAME record to point to your primary A record, your site will resolve both at www.coolexample.com and coolexample.com.
If you can reach your website by typing in your domain without the www but cannot reach it when you type the www, then your CNAME might be set up incorrectly. Follow the instructions below to ensure your domain name’s settings are correct.
To Check or Edit Your Domain Name’s CNAME Record
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Next to Domains, click Launch.
- From the Tools menu, select DNS Manager.
- Click Edit Zone for the domain name you want to update. The Zone File Editor displays.
- In the CNAME (Alias) section, click the www record.
- In the Points to field, type @ to map the alias directly to your domain name.
- Click Save Zone File, and then click OK.
Any DNS changes you make can take up to 48 hours to reflect on the Internet.