Before you can authorize a domain name transfer from another registrar to us, you must prepare the domain name and purchase the transfer.
ICANN regulations prohibit transferring domain names registered or previously transferred in the last 60 days.
To Prepare to Transfer Your Domain Name to Us
- Ensure that the administrative contact(admin) for your domain name has a valid email address in the Whois database. Both registrars use this email address to send you important information about the transfer. NOTE: If your domain name has private registration, a service that hides your personal information from the public, you cannot verify your admin email address in the Whois database. You must contact your current registrar to cancel the private registration, and then you can update the email address, if necessary.
- Unlock your domain name at your current registrar.
- Get an authorization code (also known as an EPP code or transfer key) from your current registrar, if required. Some domain name extensions, primarily country-code top-level domain names (ccTLDs), do not require an authorization code. Some registrars display the authorization code in your account with them, while others email it to the admin email address upon request.
- Purchase a domain name transfer from our website. If the extension you want to transfer is not listed, you cannot transfer the domain name to us.
When you purchase the transfer, select one of the following nameserver options:
- Keep the existing nameservers… — If you have a hosted website for your domain name (here or elsewhere), select this option to ensure that your site does not go down during the transfer.
- Change … to park nameservers— If you have email with us for the domain name, are using our Off-site DNS, or created a Premium DNS transfer template prior to the transfer, select this option. NOTE: If you select this option and are not using Off-site DNS or a Premium DNS transfer template, we park the domain name on our parking nameservers and create a default zone file in your account with us. You can use the Zone File Editor in the DNS Manager to customize the new zone file.
We send an email message to the domain name’s administrative contact (admin) after you purchase the transfer. The email contains the transfer IDs (transaction ID and security code) you need to authorize the transfer in your account with us.